Fortnite players are used to having challenges and mysteries thrown their way regularly and, with the start of Season 9, Epic Games has a new way to keep players on their toes. For the new season, a collectible called Fortbytes is being introduced for those who purchase the Battle Pass, and they’re the key to solving the mystery of Season 9. Here’s how they work and what you need to know.
When you load up the game and head to the Challenges section, you’ll now find a new entry in the events category. Here you’ll find the Fortbyte challenges, which task players with using clues to find the new, special items on the island. These items are small, glowing computer chips and, once acquired, will uncover a small piece of a larger picture. Some of these Fortbytes are also unlocked by meeting certain conditions such as earning 175,000 XP, reaching specific Battle Pass tiers, or going to certain areas. The ultimate goal is to collect all the Fortbytes from across the season and decrypt the mystery. You can find a list of Fortbyte challenges below.
Fortnite Season 9 Fortbyte Challenges
- 1: Awarded for gaining 175,000 XP
- 10: Awarded for gaining 60,000 XP
- 13: Found at a location hidden within loading screen number 2
- 25: Awarded at Battle Pass tier 40
- 35: Awarded for gaining 225,000 XP
- 36: Accessible by Sentinel on a frozen island
- 39: Awarded for completing six challenges from Week 2
- 44: Awarded at Battle Pass tier 20
- 46: Awarded at Battle Pass tier 100
- 57: Awarded by finishing top 10 in squads, duos, or solo 25 times
- 66: Awarded by finishing top 10 in squads, duos, or solo 75 times
- 71: Awarded for completing six challenges from Week 1
- 84: Awarded at Battle Pass tier 60
- 85: Awarded for gaining 30,000 XP
- 87: Awarded by finishing top 10 in squads, duos, or solo 50 times
- 90 Awarded by finishing top 10 in squads, duos, or solo 100 times
- 96: Awarded at Battle Pass tier 80
- 99: Awarded for gaining 125,000 XP
It’s important to reiterate that Fortbytes and are exclusive to those that have spent V-Bucks on a Battle Pass. They are, effectively, another set of unique challenges that function similar to the way as the Battle Pass-exclusive weekly challenges, which means if you don’t own the Battle Pass, you won’t be able to see any of it. You can read our Fortnite Season 9 Battle Pass guide to find out how it works and what it includes.
Fortnite Season 9 brings a number of other new additions, tweaks, and changes to Epic Games’ battle royale title. You can read the full Fortnite Season 9 update patch notes to get a breakdown of it all. If you haven’t already seen it, check out the first trailer for Fortnite Season 9, as it sets up all the weird changes that have happened on the island through a short and sweet story about a couple of lads getting locked in a vault.