Batman is keeping very busy in 2019.
DC is going all-out when it comes to celebrating Batman’s 80th anniversary this year, and that includes inviting 1.5 million actual bats to the party.
Today DC shed light on some of the Bat-themed festivities going on during 2019. In addition to the release of the landmark Detective Comics #1000 this month (which features the comic book universe debut of the Arkham Knight), the company will be hosting several Batman panels at events like SXSW, Emerald City Comic-Con and WonderCon, as well as celebrating another annual Batman Day on September 21.
DC also revealed this new anniversary logo designed by artist Jose Luis Garcia-Loez and painted by Admira Wijaya:
Among other events at SXSW this year, DC will host a gathering as attendees watch 1.5 million bats fly over Congress Bridge in Austin, TX.
This year’s Batman Day will be even more ambitious than usual, as multiple cities will shine Bat-signals and host 5K and 10K marathons.
Other Batman events in 2019 will include:
- The Madame Tussauds locations in Orlando and Sydney will host a Batman-themed exhibit in September.
- Six Flags theme parks will have a #LongLivetheBat event, featuring extended hours, new events and exclusive Batman merchandise.
- Austin-based art gallery MONDO will host a Batman art exhibition in May.
- The LEGO exhibition The Art of the Brick: DC Super Heroes will kick off a new touring Batman exhibit in September, beginning in Sao Paolo, Brazil.
- DirecTV will air a special Batman-centric TV channel.
- Both Rome and Shanghai will play host to unique Batman exhibits.
- Batman will be featured in a new campaign for National Boys & Girls Clubs Week in April.
- Genetic Disorders UK will release a new Batman shirt as part of Jeans for Genes Day in September.
Batman’s official 80th anniversary happens on March 30, with Batman Day scheduled for September 21. Detective Comics #1000 will hit stores on March 27.
Jesse is a mild-mannered writer for IGN. Allow him to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket by following @jschedeen on Twitter, or Kicksplode on MyIGN.