A who’s who lineup of classic DC graphic novels.
DC’s new Black Label imprint is poised to get much bigger in the months ahead. In addition to original projects like Batman: Damned and Superman: Year One, DC will be reprinting no fewer than 23 classic graphic novels under the Black Label banner.
The Black Label line emphasizes stories geared towards older readers and with little or no ties to current DC Comics continuity. Accordingly, DC will be focusing on popular standalone graphic novels like Watchmen, All-Star Superman, The Dark Knight Returns and Kingdom Come.
Here’s the full lineup of stories being reprinted under the Black Label banner between December 2018 through the end of 2019:
- ALL-STAR SUPERMAN—Grant Morrison & Frank Quitely—available 12/04/2018
- DC: THE NEW FRONTIER—Darwyn Cooke—available 2/19/2019
- WATCHMEN (HC w/new slipcase)—Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons—available 3/26/2019
- KINGDOM COME—Mark Waid & Alex Ross—available 4/23/2019
- RONIN—Frank Miller & Lynn Varley— available 5/07/2019
- ALL-STAR BATMAN & ROBIN, THE BOY WONDER VOL. 1—Miller & Jim Lee and BATMAN: YEAR ONE—Miller & David Mazzucchelli—available 6/11/2019
- BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT STRIKES AGAIN—Miller—BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS—Miller & Klaus Janson—available 6/18/2019
- BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT: THE MASTER RACE—Miller & Brian Azzarello & Andy Kubert & Janson—available 6/25/2019
- LUTHOR 10TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION and THE JOKER 10TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION —Azzarello & Lee Bermejo—available 7/09/2019
- BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM—Morrison & Dave McKean—available 8/13/2019
- THE JOKER: DELUXE EDITION—Azzarello & Bermejo—available 9/10/2019
- BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE—Moore & Brian Bolland—available 9/17/2019
- WATCHMEN (TP)—Moore & Gibbons—available 9/24/2019
- BATMAN: YEAR 100—Paul Pope—available 10/08/2019
- SUPERMAN: RED SON—Mark Millar & Dave Johnson & Andrew Robinson & Killian Plunkett & Walden Wong—available 10/22/2019
- BATMAN: THE LONG HALLOWEEN—Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale—11/05/2019
- BLACK ORCHID—Neil Gaiman & McKean—11/12/2019
- BATMAN: DARK VICTORY—Loeb & Sale—11/26/2019
- BATMAN: HAUNTED KNIGHT—Loeb & Sale—12/17/2019
- CATWOMAN: WHEN IN ROME—Loeb & Sale—12/31/2019
Previous Black Label comics have included Batman: White Knight and Batman: Damned. Damned was the source of some major controversy last month when the first issue shipped with a shot of Batman’s penis. That image has since been censored in the digital version and will also be changed in future reprintings.
As for White Knight, DC recently announced that creator Sean Gordon Murphy is working on a sequel called Batman: Curse of the White Knight, which will reinvent Batman ally Azrael as a villain.
Jesse is a mild-mannered writer for IGN. Allow him to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket by following @jschedeen on Twitter, or Kicksplode on MyIGN.