Money in the Bank takes place on June 17, and it will have been a while since the last PPV, and boy oh boy, the fans needed a break. It’s a new era for WWE as future major events will feature both Raw and Smackdown superstars, much like Backlash did last month. Coming live from the Allstate Arena in Rosemont, IL, Money in the Bank will stream over the WWE Network and available on PPV.
WWE is pushing this PPV to be a bigger event, and Money in the Bank will have an earlier start time compared to other shows, starting at 7 PM ET / 4 PM PT, with a Kickoff show starting one hour prior. We’re expecting this show to be as long as Survivor Series or Royal Rumble. As of this writing, no matches have been announced for the Kickoff, and currently, there are ten matches on the card with a couple more expected to be booked.
The main events of the evening will be the two Money in the Bank matches: one for the men and one for the women. Last year, Baron Corbin and Carmella–with help from James Ellsworth–won those respective matches with Carmella successfully cashing in her contract earlier this year. In 2018, the ante has been upped as there will now be eight superstars instead of six in each MITB match. As of this writing, all the combatants are locked in, but the New Day just needs to decide which member will compete in the men’s match.
Alongside those two ladder matches, Ronda Rousey makes her singles debut. Her last match was at Wrestlemania when she teamed with Kurt Angle to take on Triple H and Stephanie McMahon. Rousey will be fighting current Raw Women’s Champion Nia Jax for the title. Additionally, Sami Zayn will fight Bobby Lashley, which comes from the fallout of a terrible segment where Zayn interviewed Lashley’s supposed sisters who were men in drag. Even after Zayn gave a heartfelt apology, Lashley still wants revenge.
However, aside from the MITB matches, the bout to watch will be AJ Styles vs. Shinsuke Nakamura in a Last Man Standing match. The two men have been involved in a bitter rivalry filled with numerous punches and kicks to the groin, many of which have ended the match for numerous reasons. Now, the only way to lose this match is to be knocked out until the ref counts to 10. Don’t worry, there will still be plenty of low blows in this match.
Money in the Bank Match Card:
- Daniel Bryan vs. Big Cass
- Nia Jax (c) vs. Ronda Rousey (For the Raw Women’s Championship)
- Carmella (c) vs. Asuka (For the Smackdown Women’s Championship)
- Roman Reigns vs. Jinder Mahal
- Bobby Lashley vs. Sami Zayn
- Seth Rollins (c) vs. Elias (For the Intercontinental Championship)
- The Bludgeon Brothers (c) vs. The Good Brothers (For the Smackdown Tag Team Championship)
- AJ Styles (c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura (Last Man Standing Match for the WWE Championship)
- Lana, Natalya, Alexa Bliss, Charlotte, Ember Moon, Becky Lynch, Naomi, and Sasha Banks (Money in the Bank match)
- Samoa Joe, Kevin Owens, Bobby Roode, Braun Strowman, The Miz, Rusev, Finn Balor, and one member of The New Day (Money in the Bank match)
Come back to GameSpot on Sunday, June 17 for live coverage of the show.